Sunday, December 28, 2014

Hidden in Christ

Of all the dates we circle on our calendars - from holidays to birthdays and anniversaries -- the one that affects me the most is January 1 - New Year's Day.

This coming week, the world will look back at 2014 and lament all the fallen heroes, from Robin Williams to Joe Cocker.

The false prophets will ignore last New Year's failed prognostications, and give us a big list for 2015 that will be equally empty and meaningless.

But I will reflect on 2014 privately, take stock of what was accomplished and what I failed to accomplish. Recall the good memories with family and friends, alongside the sad memories as well. 

Then I'll turn my attention to the coming year. I won't be making any new year's resolutions, but I look forward to completing what I started this year but haven't finished. I anticipate a move to the other side of the country and trust the LORD for His timing on that.

For many people, a new year represents a fresh start in life -- a time to recommit one's steps for the LORD to direct. His grace is always there for those who return with a repentant heart.

The times we live in seem even more perilous than they did this same time last year -- on the global perspective. The birth pangs are getting stronger as the signs of the times that Jesus foretold are part of the daily headlines. We don't know which ones coming in 2015 will touch us personally. 

As we are "hidden in Christ" we know that nothing happens to us without His consent and He will work all things together for our good since we love Him and are called for His purpose. Knowing that, we can face the new year without fear because His love is perfect.

So Happy New Year's everyone. Maybe this will be the year He gathers us together to meet Him in the air!

Maranatha!

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.'
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you."
- Psalms 91:1-7



No comments:

Post a Comment