Sunday, October 5, 2014

Squabbling Saints

There is a growing trend in our circles of arguing over issues like the timing of the rapture, eternal security, and other such debatable matters. Iron sharpens iron and it is good to hear one another out and look at every biblical argument. But the rhetoric is sadly heating up to where it is dividing friends and that should never be. In light of the nearness of the LORD's return, we're reminded:

"Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold, the Judge is standing at the door!" - James 5:7-9

Discussion of issues can be so helpful for many trying to sort out difficult passages to arrive at a conclusion and a hope to lay one's faith upon. Yet sometimes we can lose patience and raise our voice with someone we perceive as dense when they can't see in Scripture what we see. Let's say we're right and the other believers are naive and untrained. What should our view of them be?

"Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things." - Rom 14:1

I truly am preaching to myself here. I have my own pet peeves when it comes to opposition against passages I have set my heart upon. I hold onto some of them for dear life. And when I'm looked down upon for so doing by those who in my view haven't studied the topic as long and hard as I perceive I have done, I'm tempted to eliminate them from my inner circle of friends. I must guard my heart against taking offense.

I am sure about what I believe and we all must study to show ourselves approved, for each of us will answer to God for our willingness to love truth and receive correction. The important thing is that we love Jesus our Savior and trust Him, the Author and Finisher of our faith, to see us safely to His Celestial Kingdom.

For He alone is faithful!

"But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written:
“As I live, says the LORD,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”
So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a 
cause to fall in our brother’s way." - Romans 14:10-13


No comments:

Post a Comment