Sunday, October 26, 2014

'Jesus' is not a cuss word!

I was channel-surfing yesterday, looking for something entertaining to watch on TV -- maybe a good old movie. Most of the ones I came upon were fright-night types -- Jeepers Creepers parts 1 through 5 -- I guess in honor of Halloween. I finally settled on watching Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' -- a great suspenseful film with no foul language or immoral acts. 

As I was going through the dials, I couldn't help but notice all the potty-talk going on. But what really bothered me was hearing the name of the LORD Jesus Christ thrown around as a cuss word. Does that only happen in English-speaking cultures? Do Italians use 'Gesù Cristo' as a curse word? Do Russians shout 'исус Христос' when someone cuts them off in traffic?

Whenever someone in my presence yells 'Christ' or 'Jesus' -- and not as an exclamation of worship -- I pipe up and say, 'Oh, you love Him too? Praise Jesus." I know I'm being sarcastic, but I've never had anyone try to argue with me about it. They usually just roll their eyes.

Cursing my Savior is so offensive to me. Yet, you rarely hear His name being defiled by those whose lives are in danger. I recall one time on a commercial airplane, just after take-off the plane was hit with a powerful downward gust of wind that shoved us violently toward the ground. Many screamed -- we thought we were going to crash. I prayed silently, but noticed many voices calling out "Jesus!!' -- And no one was cursing Him.

It seems to me that folks instinctively know that the name of 'Jesus' is the Name above all names - which is why they think they are being bold and brave to dare utter the Name blasphemously. Yet at the name of Jesus, will every knee bow!! 

If I didn't love Him so much, it wouldn't hurt so much. But America has taken the Ten Commandments out of the public arena and defy the one that says 'Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.' 

When He comes back and rules and reigns with a rod of iron, no mouth will dare speak evil of the Prince of Peace. 

Come quickly, LORD Jesus!!

"Why do the nations rage,
And the people plot a vain thing?
The kings of the earth set themselves,
And the rulers take counsel together,
Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying,
'Let us break Their bonds in pieces
And cast away Their cords from us'
He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
The Lord shall hold them in derision.
Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
And distress them in His deep displeasure."
Ps. 2:1-5


No comments:

Post a Comment