Sunday, October 27, 2013

O, How I Love Jesus

Dear fellow pilgrims-

I love the words of this song -
"O, how I love Jesus,
O, how I love Jesus,
O, how I love Jesus,
Because He first loved me"


When someone is hit with true love s/he wants to spend all his/her waking hours with the object of their affection. If they are apart geographically they stay in touch by letter or email and anticipate the next communication with excitement and joy.

I remember a silly song from the 60s, called "Let it Please Be Him" - about a love-struck girl sitting by the phone.

"That's when the phone rings
And once again I start to pray
Let it please be him
Oh, dear God,
It must be him
Or I shall die
Oh, hello, hello, my dear God
It must be him
But it's not him
And then I die

That's when I die"


In the book of Revelation Jesus tells us to return to our first love - which, of course, is Him. If we truly love Him, we will love Him 24/7 and not just on Sundays or when we're in the fox hole. We don't even have to wait for a communication from Him - we have His word and we can meet Him there anytime. We can commune with Him in our prayer closet and think about how awesome He is.

He is not just some person we are dating on Saturday night. If He has become that then it is definitely time to recapture that initial excitement we had in the beginning - when we were first born again.

I love the Bible's comparison of the church to a Bride waiting for her Groom to come for her. We're not waiting for the phone to ring, but we are waiting for that trumpet to sound and for His words to us - "Come up here."

Even so, LORD - Come! Maranatha!

"And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Himfn because He first loved us." - 1 John 4:16-19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgOVG63blU

No comments:

Post a Comment